Friday, November 4, 2011

Lessons learned

So after a while, work got in the way and discouragement with the small plots of land cause the garden to become neglected.  This time we will try things a bit different by analyzing what went wrong.

  • 4' x 4' plots of land for the garden.  While it made it nice for crop rotation it also limited my space for growing.  Over crowding was necessary to plant every thing I wanted.
  • Even thought I had 24" between 4'x4' plots to allow space for my lawn mower it was a pain.  It was a good idea but bad in practice.
  • Only used 4" boards to make the beds raised 3" above ground.   This allowed the grass and weeds to easily invade the garden.
  • Tried to grow too many things and too many heirloom vegetables.
  • Drip irrigation is not the best solution for the garden.  I found that the vegetables that were around the spray heads grew better than the ones at the drip heads.

So the plan this time around.

Photobucket

  • Redo the garden so that is a 4' x 24' bed.  This will solve 2 problems.  One it will allow more growing space and two I will not have to mow between beds.  However the garden may be slightly bigger as I will be cutting a 2 x 12 x 10' board in half.  Being frugal I will probably make the garden a bit wider.
  • I will use 2" x 12" x 12' boards to form the garden bed.  It will raise the garden one foot above the ground.  Hopefully it will keep the weeds at bay a bit more and also make it easier to tend.
  • Focus on the vegetables I like to grill and pickle.  Onion, carrots, egg plant, tomato, cucumber, peppers and some herbs.
  • Use the drip irrigation but mostly the spray heads.  Due to city code and state regulations I will use the drip irrigation system.  If it is not permanent the city/state cannot ticket me.

Even though I had success with my garden there is room for improvement.    For one thing it will take a lot of dirt to fill the new raised bed.  The city has fill I can load in my truck and use.  I will also be enhancing it with manure and bagged garden dirt.  Will also be using leaves and pine needles for composting.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment